- Weather in Alaska changes quickly so you need to come prepared. It can be sunny one hour and then rain, snow, or be windy the next.
- Weather at the Matanuska Glacier is often very different from weather in surrounding towns (Anchorage, Palmer, Wasilla, Sutton, etc.). The glacier creates its own local micro-climate. This means that the weather may be beautiful here at the glacier while it is raining elsewhere (such as in Anchorage, Palmer, etc).
Dressing for Cold Winter Weather or Glacier Walking:
- Winter on the Matanuska Glacier can be cold. You must arrive dressed correctly (see my "what to bring" list).
- Incorrectly dressed guests will become too cold to complete the tour requiring us to remove them from the glacier for their safety. Guests lacking supportive footwear (hiking boots or hiking sneakers) will not be safe walking on the ice or small cobbles / gravels of the moraine.
- I will not allow you on the ice if you are not dressed correctly. Most people (95%) arrive dressed correctly. Please contact me with any questions.
Children, Elders, Mobility Limitations, etc.:
- All Ages Welcome: We are proud to offer tours to families that include young and older members. Thus far our youngest guest was 6 months old and our oldest guest was 87 years young! Everyone had a great time.
- Tell Me About Young Children and Mobility Limitations: We ask that you always let us know in advance (before you book your tour) if you have anyone in your group with mobility limitations (e.g., anyone who walks more slowly such as elders or young children, etc.).
- Small Children in Carriers: If your group includes small children who do not walk (or who tire quickly), please be sure to bring a child carrier (back packs or front carriers specifically designed for carrying children). You will not be allowed to carry children in your arms on the glacier for safety reasons. We do not loan child carriers.
COVID19 Operating Guidelines:
- Only private tours offered for "households" traveling together
- We sanitize gear loaned to you (e.g., helmets, walking poles, etc.)
- We are not allowed to handle your cell phone to take photos. Cell phone plastics have been demonstrated to carry viruses for 7+ days thus a "no phone contact" policy protects you and us. I can take photos for you on my phone and send them to you if desired.
- If you are sick, do not attend the tour.
- If you appear sick, we will not allow you or your traveling party to attend the tour.
Follow All Instructions:
- Following Instructions: All members of your party must follow instructions of the tour guide during your tour. These instructions are intended to keep you and other members of your group safe. If guests are unwilling to follow instructions, the guide reserves the right to end the tour early and escort those people off the ice (without refund) in order to ensure the safety of all members on the glacier.
- Children Following Instructions: All children brought on tour must follow the instructions of the tour guide at all times. If the parents and tour guide are unable to set conditions for children to behave responsibly by following the guide’s instructions, the guide reserves the right to end the tour early and escort the group off the ice (without refund) in order to ensure the safety of all members on the glacier.
- You are responsible to notify me (prior to booking your tour) of any medical conditions you have that could impact your tour experience. These conditions will not prevent you from joining my tours, but knowing in advance helps us all be prepared. Conditions guests commonly make me aware of include:
- hip replacements or knee replacements that may prevent you from sitting down or bending at steeper angles
- diabetes (knowing this helps me watch for signs of low blood sugar hypoglycemia which can result if someone exercises harder than usual or skipped a meal)
- asthma (for which you carry an inhaler)
- allergies (for which you carry an EPI pen)
- other conditions... The above list is not exhaustive. I ask that you advise me of anything I should know.
We Are Small Family Owned Business:
- Dr. Sarah’s Alaska Tours is a small family-owned business that serves as the income base for her family.
- Cancellations made without sufficient advanced notice prevents us from allowing other interested people to join the tour and thus represents a loss of income to our family.
Policies Subject to Update / Change:
- Company policies are subject to updates / change at any time.
Liability Waiver: Every adult attending the tour must sign a liability waiver when they arrive. If a guest is under 18, the Parent or Legal Guardian must sign for the minor. The content of my liability waiver is provided below to allow all guests to read prior to arriving. The Matanuska Glacier Park has a separate waiver containing similar material that must also be signed to enter the Park.
Participant Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Assumption of Risks, and Indemnity Agreement for Dr. Sarah’s Alaska Tours, LLC
In consideration of the services of Dr. Sarah’s Alaska Tours LLC, their agents, owners, officers, volunteers, participants, employees, and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf (hereinafter collectively referred to as “DSAT"), I hereby agree to release and discharge DSAT on behalf of myself, my parents, my heirs, my family, assigns, personal representatives, and estate (collectively the "Releasors") as follows:
1. Inherent Risks: I acknowledge that glacier hiking, walking or travel entails known and unanticipated risks that could result in physical or emotional injury, death, or damage to myself, to property, or to third parties. I understand and acknowledge that the enjoyment and excitement of certain activities - in this case glacier hiking or exploration - is derived in part from inherent risks of the activity beyond the accepted safety of life at home or in my normal day-to-day activities and that these inherent risks contribute to my enjoyment and excitement and are an integral reason for my participation in this activity. I understand and acknowledge that such risks simply cannot be eliminated without destroying the essential qualities of the activity. I also understand and acknowledge that failing to follow safety guidelines, rules, trails, signage, etc. increases my risk of injury while walking or hiking on the glacier or surrounding areas.
The Inherent risks include, but are not limited to the following. Glacier exploration is usually accompanied by beautiful mountain, ice, and glaciated scenery. The natural beauty of these areas sometimes hides dangerous hazards. Those hazards may be hidden by snow and include, but are not limited to, glacier movement, crevasses and bergschrunds, ice and snow cornices, tree wells, tree stumps, creeks, rocks and boulders, forest deadfall, holes, and depressions below the snow surface, and varying and difficult snow conditions and muddy or wet ground surfaces near the glacier and on the trails. A hiker or participant may become lost or separated from companions in forested areas, wild and rugged terrain, or bad weather. Communication in this terrain is always difficult and in the event of an accident, rescue and medical treatment will not be immediately available. Remote areas and wilderness sites are unpredictable environments with rapidly changing and often dramatic weather conditions including but not limited to low visibility, high winds, heavy rain or snow, extreme temperature variations, etc. Exposure to the natural elements can be uncomfortable and/or harmful. I am aware that this exposure could cause, among other things, fatigue, exhaustion, chill, hypothermia, sunburn, dehydration, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, heat cramps, injury or death. The river and lake locations on or near the DSAT hiking or glacier areas are often unpredictable environments. In these environments participants may slip and fall, may drown or be injured in flat or moving water. Hikers or participants may encounter dangerous wildlife, insects, etc.
Furthermore, DSAT personnel have difficult jobs to perform. They seek safety, but they are not infallible. For example, they might be ignorant of a participant's fitness or abilities. They might misjudge the weather, the elements, or the terrain. They may give inadequate warnings or instructions, and the equipment being used might malfunction. DSAT personnel might otherwise not provide enough or adequate oversight of my participation. For these and other reasons, including the Releasors' or other participants negligence or my own negligence, I may be exposed to the dangers and risks listed herein and by signing this document, I understand the exposure to those risks and assume the liability for such risks and waive any claims against DSAT and waive my right to bring suit for any injury dues to these risks, the inherent risks, my negligence, the negligence of others, or the negligence of DSAT.
I acknowledge that, by signing this Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Assumption of Risks and Indemnity Agreement, I acknowledge that I AM ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE for my own safety during my participation in this activity.
2. Private Property / Right of Access: Please be advised that your right of access to the Matanuska Glacier Park is only for the duration of this tour with DSAT. You are required to leave the private property of the Matanuska Glacier Park after the tour.
3. Express Assumption of Risk: I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all the risks existing in this activity. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary, and I elect to participate in spite of the risks. I expressly agree and acknowledge that the terms and conditions of this Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Assumption of Risks and Indemnity Agreement are contractual in nature and that I am signing it of my own free will.
4. Release and Waiver of Rights Including for Claims of NEGLIGENCE: I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless DSAT from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action (Claims), which are in any way connected with my participation in this activity or my use of DSAT's equipment or facilities, including any such Claims which ARISE FROM DSAT’S OR ITS EMPLOYEES’ NEGLIGENT ACTS OR OMISSIONS.
5. Indemnity: Should DSAT or anyone acting on their behalf, be required to incur attorney's fees and costs to enforce this agreement, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless (in other words, pay for ...) for all such fees and costs.
6. Personal Skill and Insurance: I certify that I have sufficient skill and fitness to participate in this activity. I certify that I have adequate insurance to cover any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself, including the costs of being removed or transported from the area. I further certify that I have no medical or physical conditions, which could interfere with my safety in this activity, or else I am willing to assume and bear the cost of all risks that may be created, directly or indirectly, by any such condition. I also agree to hold DSAT free of all responsibility for the vehicle I drive, rented or owned, and agree to carry sufficient vehicle insurance to cover all vehicle related damage, loss, or personal injury that may occur while traveling to the Matanuska Glacier.
7. Medical Issues: I further agree that, in the event that DSAT deems it necessary to administer emergency first aid or CPR or to remove me from its activities or premises or from the field or to seek emergency medical care for me that, by signing this document, I am giving DSAT permission to: administer emergency first aid or CPR, secure emergency transport or medical and/or disclose any medical information it may have about me to any health care provider which may become involved in my care, treatment or removal from the field. By signing this document I am waiving any right to object to or bring any type of action or claim against DSAT for its administration of emergency first aid or CPR or for securing emergency transport or medical care and/or for the disclosure of personal medical information it may have about me to any health related person who becomes involved in my care or removal from DSAT activities or the field.
8. Photographic Assignment: I understand that the DSAT reserves the right to take photographic or film (of whatsoever nature) records of any or all of the activities conducted within its premises and I hereby agree that the DSAT may use such records for promotional and/or commercial purposes without any remuneration to me. I hereby assign all right, title and interest I may have in or to any and all media in which my name or likeness might be used by the DSAT.
9. Release as Contract and Personal Capacity: I expressly agree and acknowledge that the terms and conditions of this Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, Assumption of Risks and Indemnity Agreement are contractual in nature and that I am signing it of my own free will. I expressly acknowledge that I am not under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of my signing of this document and that there are no other impediments or reasons why I would lack the capacity to enter into this contract with DSAT
10. Forum Selection, Severability, Breach of Contract/Warranty Waiver, etc.: In the event I file a lawsuit against DSAT, I agree to do so solely in the Superior Court of Alaska, with venue in the Third Judicial District of the State of Alaska at Anchorage, and I further agree that the substantive law of that state shall apply in that action without regard to the conflict of law rules of that state. I agree that if any portion of this agreement/contract is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining portion shall remain in full force and effect; this document is intended to be interpreted as broadly as possible. A copy of this release contract can be used as if it was the original. I understand that this document constitutes the entire Agreement/Contract between myself and DSAT and that it cannot be modified or changed in any way by representations or statements of any nature (be they vocal, advertising, etc.) outside of this document; in other words, I am also waiving any claims I might have for breach of contract or warranty for statements or representations made outside of this release contract.
By signing this document, I acknowledge that if anyone is hurt or property is damaged during my participation in this activity, I may be found by a court of law to have waived my right to maintain a lawsuit against DSAT on the basis of any claim from which I have released them herein. I agree that if any portion of this agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining portion shall remain in full force and effect.
11. If you made your tour in advance (vs walk-in), were you sent this waiver in advance to review prior to your tour: Yes / No / NA
- I acknowledge that I AM ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE for my own safety during my participation in this activity.
- I HAVE HAD SUFFICIENT OPPORTUNITY TO READ THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT including, but not limited to, the risk, assumption, and waiver provisions contained in Paragraphs 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10.
- I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD IT, INCLUDING THE WAIVER AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK PROVISIONS IN IT, AND I AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS.
Printed Name: Signature:
Address: City: State:
Country: Postal Code: Phone #: Date:
PARENT’S OR GUARDIAN’S
Printed Name: Signature:
Address: City: State:
Country: Postal Code: Phone #: Date:
PARENT’S OR GUARDIAN’S ADDITIONAL INDEMNIFICATION
(Must be completed for participants under 18 years of age)
In consideration of ______________________ (print minor’s name) (“Minor”) being permitted by DSAT to participate in its activities and to use its equipment and facilities, I further agree to indemnify and hold harmless DSAT from any and all claims which are brought by, or on behalf of Minor, and which are in any way connected with the use of participation by Minor.
Printed Name: Parent Signature: Date:
VEHICLE LICENSE PLATE: ____________________