Dr. Sarah completed her PhD researching the Matanuska Glacier and offers 20+ years experience!
My company offers glacier walking tours for people excited to explore Alaska with a scientist. I have been working in Alaska since 1995 studying Alaska's stunning glaciers, powerful rivers, snow capped mountains, and amazing geology.
I first came to Alaska to work as a teenager in 1995 on an internship program to support scientists studying Alaska's cryosphere (glaciers, snow, permafrost etc). As a child raised in rural northern New England, I always felt happiest outside in the mountains, and most of all - I loved the cold snowy winter seasons. However, nothing could have prepared me for the stunning grandeur of Alaska! Each day I was more amazed by the beauty and scale of Alaska's raw mountain landscapes with vast expansive ice fields and powerful rivers. During my first week I was determined to make Alaska my home.
After completing my academic degrees researching glaciers, snow, permafrost, and satellite remote sensing, I spent the next 20 years working in Alaska and numerous other countries researching the cold regions processes that shape this great landscape resulting in 59 scientific publications.
Recently I started sharing my love for exploring the wonders of this land by taking people on tours to discover this great state with me. Come join me on a tour!
Other miscellaneous background details:
- Completed my PhD researching the Matanuska Glacier
- Received NASA Doctoral Fellowship during my PhD to apply NASA and DOD satellites for glacier hydrology predictions
- Studied glaciers, permafrost, snow, hydrology (rivers and groundwater), and remote sensing (satellites, sensors, UAVs, etc) working in cold regions countries around the world
- Generated 59 publications during my career
- Published the glacial history of Matanuska and Knik Glaciers
- Published findings about predictions of sub-glacial hydrology using satellites
- Supported a team of researchers to investigate the impact of intense rain events on the Matanuska Glacier
- Researched snow melt flooding in the Yukon Territory, Canada
- Studied terrestrial and tidewater glaciers of Glacier Bay, AK
- Currently also serve as the Park Geologist for the Matanuska Glacier Park.
Published research discovers the story of the last 20,000+ years of glacial history of the Matanuska Glacier!
Published research uses satellites to help predict subglacial flooding at the Matanuska Glacier!